About Me

My photo
As a youth art educator, I am self-motivated, dependable with extensive experience teaching students from diverse backgrounds including formal and informal: public schools, museums, community art centers, recreation centers, and camps. I have always had an interest in education and learning through art and in 2010, I pursued my Masters of Science in Art Education at Rochester Institute of Technology and certification to teach in New York State. This intense, lengthy process involved both the classroom and 12 weeks of student teaching. This expanded my philosophy of education and ideas about learning. I believe in curricular integration and lessons plans in art education relating to core subjects. Also, developing research strategies and curriculum planning focusing on projects is an asset of mine. Being an art educator I am always thinking creatively and adapting to new situations and have the ability to take the initiative.

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Inspired by Marzano

I am looking at the Educational Leadership webpage and got interested in the ideas by Robert Marzano. It seems that there is a real importance of getting the student ready of college or a career,  or life time learning. Students, I find want direct answers and it becomes a push and shove to get students to solve their own problems.
I found this to be issue in my latest teaching project making puppets with a 9-12 year old ceramic group. I got them excited about puppets through a Alexander Calder video, images of Paul Klee puppets, library books, and I created a puppet. I then had had them sketch 3 -5 designs the might want to use. Then we worked for a hour and half designing the clay part for our puppets. We will then have one more day to put the pieces together to create a mixed media puppet. I will be adding more pictures and information.

Art and Science of Teaching / Problem Solving in Seven Steps
Robert J. Marzano
http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/may14/vol71/num08/Problem-Solving-in-Seven-Steps.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment